1. The act of appointing; designation to office; as, he erred by the appointment of suitable men.
2. Stipulation; assignation; the act of fixing by mutual agreement; as, they made an appointment to meet at six o'clock.
3. Decree; established order or constitution; as, it is our duty to submit to the divine appointments.
4. Direction; order; command.
Wheat, salt, wine and oil, let it be given according to the appointment of the priests. Ezek 6.
5. Equipment, furniture, as for a ship, or an army; whatever is appointed for use and management.
6. An allowance to a person; a salary or pension, as to a public officer.
An appointment differs from wages, in being a special grant, or gratification, not fixed, whereas wages are fixed and ordinary.
7. A devise or grant to a charitable use.