1. The head of a person, or the back part of the head, and in composition, applied to the head of a beast, as in poll-evil.
2. A register of heads, that is, of persons.
3. The entry of the names of electors who vote for civil officers. Hence,
4. An election of civil officers, or the place of election.
Our citizens say, at the opening or close of the poll, that is, at the beginning of the register of voters and reception of votes, or the close of the same. They say also, we are going to the poll; many voters appeared at the poll.
5. A fish called a chub or chevin.
3. To peel; to strip; to plunder.
4. To take a list or register of persons; to enter names in a list.
5. To enter one's name in a list or register.
6. To insert into a number as a voter.